Follow Footballbible on Facebook and Twitter to get up to date football related news from the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and other leagues around the World. News From Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.
Turkish giants Fenerbahce are understood to be preparing a January offer to sign Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil in the New Year.
The German international is looking increasingly likely to depart the Emirates in one of the next two windows with no news to report regarding any progress on an extension to his contract that runs out at the end of the current campaign.
Several European clubs are understandably monitoring the player’s contractual situation with designs on landing the player next year. It is now being reported that Fenerbahce could battle top European clubs for the player’s services.
According to The Sunday Express via Daily Star, Arsenal would prefer to get a return on the player rather than lose him on a free at the end his contract and Fenerbahce are ready to take Ozil off their hands.
The Turkish giants are aware of the size of task of landing such a huge player but the report further states that will ‘push hard’ to get the playmaker to move to Istanbul.
The Yellow Canaries are long term admirers of Ozil and have built up close ties with the 28-year-old in recent years.
The Gunners playmaker who grew up supporting Fenerbahce has previously stated the opportunity to play for the Istanbul giants one day is one that he would graciously accept.
Ozil told the Sabah last July: “In the future I want to wear a Fenerbahce shirt. It would be an honour. Everyone knows I am a Fenerbahce fan.”
While losing Ozil would definitely be a big blow to Wenger especially for free, the player’s departure to European minnows Fenerbahce would be a lot better than losing him to a direct rival as Manchester united have also been linked with a move for the German international.
Despite reports linking Ozil with a move to Old Trafford, The Red Devils’ interest in the player has been put in doubt by journalist Duncan Castles, who claims no reunion between the World Cup winner and Jose Mourinho is on the cards at Old Trafford.
He said on the Transfer Window podcast: “Mourinho does like him as a player. He’s got that combination of creativity and tactical awareness that he likes.
“But the information I’m getting is that Ozil’s not the player he plans to add to the team next summer
“He’s already worked out the areas he wants to improve in.
“He always had a three summer transfer window plan for Manchester United.
“What I’m told he wants is a player who is better than what he’s got at the moment and they don’t see Ozil as being better than what he’s got in terms of that central, creative, attacking midfielder.
“Where he does want to recruit is in a faster wide player which isn’t Ozil’s forte.
“I think it’s unlikely that’s the club he ends up at when he has his freedom on contract in the summer”