Martial set to leave Man Utd next week as Mourinho tells Ed Woodward to Sell him off

Follow Footballbible on Facebook and Twitter get up to date football related news from the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga and other leagues around the World. News From Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool.

Jose Mourinho has told Ed Woodward to sell Manchester United forward Anthony Martial before the European transfer window closes, reports say.

France international Martial was strongly linked with a departure from Old Trafford earlier in the summer after leaving United’s pre-season tour of America early.

While the 22-year-old returned home for the birth of his second child, Mourinho was unhappy that he did not return to the camp sooner and Martial was fined two weeks’ wages.

Martial was an unused substitute in Manchester United’s opening game of the new season but was handed a start against Brighton on Sunday because of Alexis Sanchez’s absence.

Like the rest of the team, he failed to impress against the Seagulls, however, and was hauled off with half an hour remaining. In the wake of the Brighton match, the Daily Star say Mourinho has made a fresh plea to United chief Woodward to sell Martial.

It is claimed Mourinho is adamant that Martial is not up to the required standard and hopes he is sold to raise cash to spend in January.

But Mourinho may not get his desired outcome as Woodward still rates Martial highly and is unwilling to sell a player the club have invested so much in.

The situation has created further friction between Mourinho and Woodward, with the Red Devils boss already unhappy at missing out on a host of transfer targets over the summer.

Speaking after Manchester United’s shock 3-2 defeat at Brighton, former England manager Sam Allardyce said Martial was not good enough to play for the club.

‘You’d look at Louis van Gaal who brought in Martial and it doesn’t matter who the manager is, Martial isn’t good enough for Manchester United,’ he told beIN Sports.

‘If you want to be super critical and look at the players he’s got. He is not the player they thought they were getting.

‘There was a chance where you get a very big young talent for £50million. But we are in his third season and he is no better than when he first came.

‘He should have progressed. He should be as good as Leroy Sane and people like that. That’s not Jose’s fault.’

Loading...

Leave a Reply